In a couple of seconds you will be redirected to our new site. Click here if you can't contain your excitement.

24.6.08

Santogold – S/T



An album that doesn’t sound like everything else out there? Music that’s actually refreshing? Who the fuck is gonna believe me when I write that? But in Santogold’s case it’s actually true. This lady might look and sound cute on some of the songs of her solo debut (“Lights Out”), on others she sounds like someone you do not want to mess with (“Unstoppable”). With a mixture of punk, dub, dancehall, rock, new wave and 80ies pop sounds, Santogold managed to throw together an irresistible album.

One listen to “L.E.S. Artistes” and you’ll be won over while “I’m A Lady” sounds like Blondie covering a Pixies song. It simply is that catchy. On the other end of the musical spectrum is M.I.A. and yes, on a song like “Creator” it makes sense to compare the two of them. While there may seem to be a huge distance between the Pixies and M.I.A., Santi White’s greatest strength lies in being able to cover that much ground effortlessly and – even more important – without sounding forced while still ending up with a whole bunch of catchy songs.

Yup, I’m a Santogold fan from now on and her eponymous album is sure to be played a lot at my house this summer! Make sure you don’t miss her at the Pukkelpop festival this summer. Now, if you’ll excuse me I need to listen to “My Superman” again!
Score: 8.5 out of 10
http://www.lizardkingrecords.net
http://www.myspace.com/santogold

No comments: