In a couple of seconds you will be redirected to our new site. Click here if you can't contain your excitement.

24.5.11

None More Black - Icons


by Christophe

You know what? It's always a pleasure to hear Jason Shevchuk's gravelly groans. Personally, I would kill to see Kid Dynamite for once in my life.

But I'd be happy enough with seeing None More Black again too. Especially after they put out this awesome album called "Icons". Never has the band released such an amazing collection of songs. Dare I say this might even be the best record Jason Shevchuk ever sang on?

My guess is the hiatus NMB went on, did them a lot of good. "Icons" is more than just a punkrock record. There's a lot of 'twang' in the guitarsound, giving me a certain Below the Bible Belt Americana vibe. And at certain points, the melodies are quite moody, giving a Seattle-in-the-nineties idea. And a certain Mississippi Gospel-feeling in some of the rhythms. I'm puzzled, but maybe NMB has made the most complete American punkrock album.

And despite those different vibes, the album is focussed, challenging and very... ehm... very very very good.
Score: 9 out of 10
http://www.fatwreck.com
http://www.myspace.com/nmbmusic

No comments: