In a couple of seconds you will be redirected to our new site. Click here if you can't contain your excitement.

12.4.08

Gwen Stacy interview


Gwen Stacy is one of the newest bands on the Ferret roster and with “The Life I Know” they released a fun metalcore album. Which is why I thought it would be fun to do a short email interview with the guys. Which you can read here. Huh.

PRT: Who are you and what would you like to tell our readers about yourself?
TJ: I'm T.J. I play drums for GS

PRT: What do you think was Gwen Stacy’s cause of death… the fall from the bridge or did she break her neck when Spidey grabbed her?
TJ:I'm absolutely positive it was the grab. If you look at the actual shot of it happening, it shows her being grapped with a big "snaaap" next to it

PRT: How often do you get asked about the band name in interviews?
TJ:Consistently every interview so far I believe :)

PRT: Who else is in the band, which Spiderman fiend would you compare them to and why?
TJ:Cole reminds me of the Green Goblin. He's squirrely and small. And green.

PRT: Can you give me a short history of the band written in less than one minute.
TJ:Out of many, one.

PRT: You’re a christian band and while you don’t seem preachy about it I was wondering how much shit you’re getting for that?
TJ:There's been a few cases where we've had other christians bands tell us we were wrong for our approach on our beliefs. Not that we care. But there are a small handful that think that we're cowards about our faith.

PRT: If Gwen Stacy was the lovechild of two other bands, which band’s would’ve gotten it on and which position were you conceived in?
TJ:Beloved and Poison the Well, and as far as the details go, I think they'd appreciate if we respected their privacy :)

PRT: The new album is called “The Life I Know”. Does that mean I will know what you are all about after having heard the album?
TJ:You'll definitely understand a good portion of the things we've endured in our lives so far.

PRT: The album cover I have is different from the final version… what made you change it?
TJ:I actually didn't know of any changes. At least not that I remember. I sleep a lot though, so that may be why.

PRT: You recorded the album with Paul Leavitt and Brian McTernan and it said in the bio sheet that having an outside opinion is not always a bad thing. What did they bring to the table?
TJ:We tried to hit as many ideas as possible with our album. We didn't want to have twelve tracks that all sounded the same, and Paul and Brian helped us focus those ideas I think. Sometimes things just didn't work, and when working with twelve songs at one time, sometimes it's easy to miss details. They helped us reach the goal that we were trying to hit, Paul especially.

PRT: I like the album but felt that it would’ve been even better with just the screams rather than the typical singing/screaming combo… have you considered letting the clean vocals out? Or is it something of a given these days to include them?
TJ:Brent can sing really well, and we wanted to utilize that talent, but at the same time we didn't want to give in to that given standard of singing/screaming combo bands. Which is why we're not afraid to do songs without singing. I think we have a lot more to offer than just easy selling singing choruses. We don't plan on phasing it out or stepping it up. It's more like when it happens it happens.

PRT: What’s up next for Gwen Stacy? I know you’re on tour now with Scary Kids Scaring Kids and Haste The Day… how’s that working out for you?
TJ:That tour was freaking awesome. All the dudes from that tour were awesome to us and we had a great time opening for them. Next is Central America with Haste the Day and Still Remains, then opening for Still Remains, then the Devil Wears Prada and Maylene. All of which I'm really excited for.

PRT: Any last words for our readers?

TJ:Go pick up the album if you haven't already, come hang out at a show on one of the tours, come say what's up on our myspace.

No comments: