In a couple of seconds you will be redirected to our new site. Click here if you can't contain your excitement.

17.4.12

Rodrigo Y Gabriela and C.U.B.A. – Area 52


Alright, let’s be honest here… I never really got the hype surrounding Rodrigo Y Gabriela and I doubt that’s gonna change listening to their new album. And to be completely honest, their success remains as much of a mystery to me as the actual (well, you know what I mean) Area 52.

Right after recording the soundtrack for the last Pirates Of The Caribbean movie with Hans Zimmer, Rod & Gab were on a plane heading for Cuba to record an album with a 13-piece orchestra made up of some of Havana’s finest musicians. Other guests include The Cult’s John Tempesta, Carles Benavent (Miles Davis), a Palestinian outfit called Le Trio Joubran and a Swiss pianist named Alex Wilson, who got to sort out all the arrangements.

There are no new songs to be found on here, instead nine older songs got the Cuba treatment. I’m sure a lot of people will love this but I already didn’t care for the original versions and I get nervous listening to Buena Vista Social Club. So for me, this is like my personal Guantanamo… which is equally tropical.
Score: 4 out of 10
http://www.pias.com
http://www.rodgab.com

No comments: