In a couple of seconds you will be redirected to our new site. Click here if you can't contain your excitement.

1.1.09

La Vieja Guardia – S/T EP


La Vieja Guardia consists of a couple of Cubans living in Miami who have teamed up to pay tribute to all the Miami hardcore bands from the 80s and 90s. I don’t know any of them right off the bat but I can tell you that La Vieja Guardia does a decent job on this 5-song EP.

Clocking in at 15 minutes, these hermanos churn out mainly mid-tempo tracks with lots of gang vocals. Lyrically, I don’t have a clue what they’re going on about because the knowledge of my Spanish doesn’t extend beyond the words ‘me llamo thomas’, ‘cabron’ and ‘hijo de puta’ but the music is appealing. Not that it’s anything you haven’t heard bands like Warzone or Madball play already back in the day but still.

One piece of advice though… the singing part in “Entre Hermanos” is so out of key that it’s not even funny anymore. They might want to stick with the angry yelling which suits them a whole lot better. All in all a decent debut though… I’m interested in hearing more!
Score: 6.5 out of 10
http://www.iscreamrecords.com
http://www.myspace.com/thelvg

No comments: