In a couple of seconds you will be redirected to our new site. Click here if you can't contain your excitement.

24.9.09

The Upwelling – An American Stranger


The Upwelling are a three-piece operating out of New York City. The band is built around the Ingber brothers (songwriter/singer/guitarist Ari and drummer Josh) and is rounded out by Conor Hefferman on the keyboards. On “An American Stranger” they play straightforward enough poprock that becomes wayt too sappy and high school-y for me thanks to the cliché-riddled lyrics (I’ve got everything I want / because you’re everything I’m not) and – for the most part - unnecessary keyboards.

When they’re good they’re good though. Like on “Wanderlust” which thrives on the higher tempo and tight bass sounds. Could’ve been on a Gaslight Anthem album if you ask me. “Ladder 116” works as well and reminded me of Third Eye Blind.

If these guys work a little harder, write better lyrics, scratch the mushy keyboards and add another guitarist, I can see them going places. If not, they’ll probably end up on the scrapheap along with the million other could’ve beens.
Score: 5.5 out of 10
http://www.doghouserecords.com
http://www.myspace.com/theupwelling

No comments: