In a couple of seconds you will be redirected to our new site. Click here if you can't contain your excitement.

3.6.09

My Latest Novel – Deaths & Entrances


When “Wolves” came out, My Latest Novel were hailed everywhere as the Scottish answer to The Arcade Fire. While I could see the resemblances, I thought dismissing them as a mere clone was selling these guys short. Which is why I’m glad they prove they’re more than that on “Deaths & Entrances”, the band’s sophomore release.

No more dramatic switching of genres within one and the same song. These Scots have done some growing up and now love writing songs that cruise around for a while before gradually finding their way. Gary Deveney’s voice is still one of the main characteristics but the rest of the band does an equally solid job of structuring, restraining and melodicising. It all sounds pretty enough but the lack of any real climaxes makes that My Latest Novel’s latest isn’t exactly the pageturner I was hoping for.
Score: 7 out of 10
http://www.bellaunion.com
http://www.mylatestnovel.com

No comments: