In a couple of seconds you will be redirected to our new site. Click here if you can't contain your excitement.

12.2.12

The Safety Fire – Grind The Ocean


- by Thomas

Shit, a progressive metalcore band? Mathcore from the UK? What am I gonna eat tonight? Do I really want to hear this? After all I’m not the mathy, progressive kinda guy. I like my music focused, short and to the point. I need to get my laundry sorted out! These were some of the thoughts that went through my head while reading The Safety Fire’s bio sheet.

I have to hand it to these guys though… on “Grind The Ocean” they show off their technicality with tons of rhythm changes and odd twists and turns, yet they never forget to inject their material with just the right amount of catchiness and more atmospheric parts. This way of working allows them to switch from a nice melody with clean vocals to pure fucking shredding in a matter of seconds. And they pull it off without allowing things to go to shit.

While it is a lot to take in all at once that can get tiring after a while due to the sheer amount of different things going on, “Grind The Ocean” is an impressive debut full-length by a new band that fans of everyone from Dillinger Escape Plan down to Protest The Hero and Fair To Midland should check out.
Score: 7 out of 10
http://www.insideoutmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/thesafetyfire

No comments: