In a couple of seconds you will be redirected to our new site. Click here if you can't contain your excitement.

26.1.11

Mixtapes – A Short Collection Of Short Songs


Mixtapes is one of those bands that seemingly come out of nowhere and are then being hyped like you wouldn’t believe. Yet up til now I had never heard one of their songs. And so the band’s new EP “A Short Collection Of Short Songs” served as my introduction to the Ohio phenomenon known as Mixtapes.

I can see why they would be hyped but I can also imagine why some people would hate this band. They play pop-punk that is heavily influenced by the power pop and indie rock of the 90s… that’s three genres I love in one sentence and guess what? These guys and one girl combine all three of them flawlessly. Sometimes they get dangerously close to sounding cheesy or a bit too cutesy, but it never really becomes embarrassing.

Where does that leave me? Part of the hype machine I guess…
Score: 7.5 out of 10
http://www.animalstylerecords.com
http://www.myspace.com/mixtapesohio

No comments: